International Classes at Manglerud skole is a city-wide programme open for qualified applicants who hold the right to education in the Municipality of Oslo.
The academically rigorous curriculum is delivered in English and follows the framework of the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) Primary Years Programme (PYP) for Grades 1 - 6 and the International Baccalaureate Organization Middle Years Programme (MYP) for Grades 7 -10.
The IBO PYP and IBO MYP programmes are not English language learning programmes. Students admitted to Manglerud International Classes (MIC) are required to have a level of competency in writing, reading and speaking English to enable them to fully participate in the programme without any additional English language support.
In 2024- there are 25 spots available in year 1. All other years are subject to availability.
For the 2024-2025 school year the deadline is March 1st, 2024. Application portal will open January 10, 2024
All applications are procssesed after March 1st, there is no first come-first served policy.
Who Can Apply?
International Classes at Manglerud Skole is for:
- Students whose families have moved to Oslo*, Norway from abroad in connection with work or studies and plan on staying for a short time (1-3 years)
- Students from families, who live in Oslo, that are preparing for a stay a country outside of Norway within the next two years.
- Students whose families, who live in Oslo* and have high ambitions for their child's education and would like to participate in an accelerated learning program with the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum
- *those currently not residing in Oslo must submit proof of residency prior to school start
For further information about specific admissions criteria- please read the Admissions Policy- PDF document (on right).
Who will be admitted?
After March 1 all applications will be processed by the admissions team. Processing time is 6-8 weeks. Applications will be ranked as follows:
- Students whose applications fall within the aforementioned target groups and who meet all the criteria (see Admissions Policy) .
- Siblings who also meet the criteria will come before students who do not meet the criteria.
- If there are more sibling applications than there are places, then a ballot will be drawn to determine allocation of places
- Remaning applicants will be allocated any remainig places using a ballot system after being ranked by criteria
Applicants may be asked to participate in an interview prior to admission.
What do I need to send in to be admitted?
Prepare all the following documents. All documents must be submitted with the application as well as all questions must be answered. Please prepare the following documents:
Documentation - Please read through carefully and find the following documents for your application!
The following forms of documentation should be added to an application
- Documentation of temporary stay
- Documentation of residency in Oslo
- Documentation of English Langauge proficiency - from years 3 onwards- handwritten piece of writing from the student
- Transcrips for MYP
- Other: Need for support, medical support, etc. - documents that help the school prepare for the student and support them early on
- Upon successful admissions: Health Card/ Vaccination Program register to be provided to school health services within first week
Examples of Documentation:
I. To document temporary stay in Oslo, Norway- at least one of the following
- Work contract with end date
- Letter from employer or university indicating start and end dates
II. To document residency* - at least one of the following
- A copy of Certificate of Residence (bodstedsattest) issued by the National Registry (Folkeregisteret) or The Norwegian Tax Administration (Skatteetaten) for WHOLE family
- Proof of address- lease documents
*applicants who are moving to Oslo are eligible to apply for a place, however, they cannot secure their spot until they provide documentation that they have moved to Oslo with their parent(s) or legal guardians before the start of the school year. Prior to obtaining official documentation, copies of potential lease contracts or letters from employers as being located in Oslo will suffice. Proof of residency will be required prior to official offer of admissions and starting school
III. To document language proficiency in English
- Letter from kindergarden/school
- Report or achievement record
- Certificate of completion
- Written task sample (years 3-10)- 50 words written by the student on any topic in their handwriting
IV. Other Required Documentation
For MYP (years 7-10)
- Transcript/ report card from previous two years
V. Other Suggested Documentation- do not send anything with sensitive information (such as diagnosis- such documents should be submitted in person upon admissions)
- The following documents do not have any bearing on admissions but are suggested to help to support a child prior to starting school
- Sakkyndig vurdering/ Expert assessment
- Diagnosis of learning support or needs-(to be submitted in person upon admissions)
- Special Needs Documentation from previous school
- Diagnostic test results, standardized test results or mapping from previous school in i.e Maths and English
- Learning support plans/ Individual Learning Plans (ILPs)
- Medical support information from health services, etc. -i.e. student needs additional care or assistance for medical reasons (to be submitted in person upon admissoins)
- Letter from previous kindergarten/school about necessary accommodations
Upon Successful Admissions please also provide the school with the following documents in person. For GDPR reasons we do not wish electronic copies.
- Health card/ proof of vaccination (if coming from abroad)- only to be submitted upon successful admissions within the first week of attendance
- Documentation of diagnosis for special/ medical needs
In the event of there being more applicants than places available, applicants not allocated a place will be placed on a waiting list for the appropriate grade.
Applications received after the application deadline will also be placed on the appropriate waiting list.
Students may be offered a place throughout the school year should places become available.
How to apply?
Please visit our Admissions Proceedure page and use the link provided.
Unable to log in? Issues with applying?
Please contact Ms. Cecilie Edwards, email@example.com
Telephone + 47 474 83 408.